Holiday shopping, parties, good food, family, friends, screaming kids and more. Sound familiar? Yes, the joys of Christmas are upon us and and that means so are the stresses that accompany it. If you are planning on having a lot of people over on Christmas morning, why not serve something that makes things easy on you, but that also impresses your hungry guests. The solution? Breakfast Casserole. My secret is, on Christmas Eve while you’re waiting for Santa to come down the chimney, whip this recipe together and then go to bed. Then, the next morning, while your kids are plowing through gifts and having a ball you can just pop the casserole in the oven and relax knowing the crowd will be thrilled with your Christmas culinary creation!
Breakfast Casserole (Serves 4-6)
6 Large Eggs, whisked
2/3 Cups Milk
1 Cup Cheese, shredded (you can use Mexican cheese blend, Mozzarella, Cheddar, or Monterey Jack)
1/2 Tsp Salt
5 Slices day-old Whole Wheat Bread, cut into cubes
4 Pieces of Bacon, cooked and crumbled into bite-size pieces
1 Cup Cooked Vegetables, chopped (broccoli, corn, bell peppers, onions or anything you have leftover from last night’s dinner)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
2. In a bowl whisk the eggs, milk, cheese and salt until thoroughly combined.
3. Soak the cubed bread in the egg mixture and stir until just combined (you don’t want to over mix the bread or it will break apart).
4. Fold in the remaining ingredients.
5. Pour the mixture into an 8×8 inch greased pan and bake for 45-50 minutes or until the top is golden.
*Can be doubled and cooked in a 13 x 9 inch dish